Covenant Medicine Outreach was founded by Dr. David H. Beyda, Division Chief of Critical Care Medicine at Phoenix Children’s Hospital and Chairman of the Bioethics Committee. At the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix Dr. Beyda serves as Chair and Professor of the Department of Bioethics and Medical Humanism, as well as Professor of Pediatrics.
As founder and Medical Director of Medical Mercy, Dr. Beyda has served on more than 65 medical mission trips to developing countries including Ethiopia, Kenya, India, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
After serving for many years with sponsored child programs, Dr. Beyda answered the call to provide healthcare for the children not being reached by other programs. With the relationships he has built in these countries he has established “medical houses” in Kenya and Swaziland. CMO will conduct medical clinics in each of these countries every year.
The CMO founder has over 15 years of experience in meeting the needs of the under-served, through service with the Medical Mercy organization, bringing healthcare to more than 10 countries and 40,000 children. With Medical Mercy, the CMO founder and teams:
- Made more than 65 medical ministry trips
- Treated over 200,000 patients
- Dispensed more than 750,000 prescriptions
- Built medical clinics in Swaziland, Cambodia and Egypt
- Trained 190 local teachers, social workers and pastors to be healthcare workers
- Developed a comprehensive nutritional assessment and intervention program.
- Documented successful outcomes in 100% of the malnourished children treated through the nutritional rescue program
- Prevented more than 5,000 cases of serious illnesses and injuries from progressing.
The organization, led by Dr. Beyda, was recognized by the Arizona American Academy of Pediatrics, the Arizona American Medical Association, The Arizona Business Journal and others as a leader in cutting-edge medical ministry to the underprivileged.
Security is paramount on our trips. On all CMO’s mission trips our team is tracked via a security satellite device ensuring the team’s exact location and status is known. We establish with a security company, contingency plans for our teams in the case of emergencies.